Thursday, July 7, 2016

Politics & Crochet

          I am not really a political person, beyond my "buy local, eat organic" stand.
I am, however, prone to sympathy towards anyone who is an immigrant, as three of my four grandparents, with my great aunt, came over to this country from Poland in 1898. My other grandparent's parents came over before that. That grandmother and my grandfather both sponsored people who came over later, and I have fond childhood memories of sitting around my grandmother's dining room table (which I now own), with people who spoke a language not my own. I suspect my own inclination towards communal living in the 70s was in part due to that early experience of merging people and cultures around my grandmother's table.
       I saw the Safety Pin movement on Facebook this morning (thank you Stephen Duneier!) and realized that I could encourage that in spades with this scarf pattern I already had done.
https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/531097203744714/

Simple enough for beginners, and about as inexpensive as it gets:
http://www.mainlycrochet.org/store/p351/Allison_Safety_Pin_Scarf.html

Not enough time to post right now and take a model photo, so here it is, as it is, no matter what country you're in, or what country you come from.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post- I hadn't heard of the safety pin campaign before, and it's a shot of positive power in our very scary world. My 16 year old son (who mostly rolls his eyes at my "fiber community" was so excited by the idea he adorned his(made by me)beanie with pins and when he explains why (so far only friends have asked) he gives the asker a pin if they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that?! Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete