Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Evolution of Mike Bowditch: WIDOWMAKER

Cover art

or why I love Paul Doiron's books....

     Some women read romance novels. Having little truck with even the concept of Romance these days, I find I much prefer cookbooks and mysteries, not necessarily in that order. Give me a good recipe or murder mystery over kissy faces any day of the week. Such is the reality of a jaded 63 year old single female, living in the state of Maine.
    Mysteries that are single issue are good, but there's nothing like a series to make my heart go pitter pat. Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch series is one that I begin anticipating the next one just as soon as I have finished the last.His most recent, WIDOWMAKER, is more proof of his great storytelling and character development skills.
     We first meet Mike in THE POACHER'S SON, and while each book can stand quite nicely on it's own, I strongly recommend starting at the beginning and travelling through them all, because Mike's evolution as a game warden in Maine is just too good to not watch the progress. Both his development as a warden and as a human being, as well as the Maine-based territories written about, make any of his novels a joy, and an adventure, to read. It was something of a shock to realize that the character's pickup truck was found on a road I lived on back in the 70s in Dallas Plantation, about as obscure a place in Maine as you can get, but also totally familiar to me, right down to the view of Saddleback through the back cabin picture window. Yes, I occasionally heard the booms from the Navy base way back in the woods. Who knew that someone else knew about that place enough to write about it convincingly?
     Since Mike is not as disgruntled about the prospect of Romance as I am, there is enough of that part of his life to satisfy other's need for it; life in Maine isn't just about moose and dogs and skiing! Even if you can't be up here, Doiron's descriptions of drives down both familiar and unfamiliar highways will make you think you have been. You can get here from there!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Widowmaker+by+Paul+Doiron 

OR persuade your library to carry the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment