Friday, April 1, 2016

Working On It


Just like Rome, most projects are not built in a day. I often think that the preliminaries take longer than the actual project making. I've narrowed each piece down to certain colors, and know what my squares will be, and it's clear in this group of projects that there will be leftovers because I'm using so many colors that it goes above and beyond the yardage needed.
The yarn junkie in me says "no matter!" knowing full well that the easiest way to true comfort is to have lots of yarn in one's stash. I suppose it will also give me the opportunity to design a Use Up Those Leftovers CAL next!

One of the considerations is sorting out what goes first in terms of skill level and moving from easy- to get us started- to more difficult techniques and patterns. I do love the idea that I may be imparting something new to the CAL's participants!

By the Sea Cal Materials Lists:

For the Homespun Version:

·        *  Lion Brand Homespun, article #790 (6 oz. 170g; 185 yd/169 m skein:
3 skeins # 300A Hepplewhite-MC; 1 skein each: # 225 Beachside Stripes;  # 226 Petunia Stripes; # 424 Seafoam; # 605 Sand Dune; # 430 Abalone; #329 Waterfall; #406 Ocean; # 237 Lakeside Stripes; # 602 Blue Moon ; #416 Coral Reef
* I'm using a size J/10 hook

As I said above, there are lots of colors, and there's no reason you can't get away with fewer. While the instructions will be using these specific colors, there's no reason you can't use what's in your scrap box, or choose a totally different range of colors. I'm going for the Caribbean snapshot theme for this one....




For the Vanna's Choice Version

·        *  Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice, article #  ( 3.5 oz/100g; 170 yd/156 m skein): 4 skeins # 100 White; 1 skein each # 109 Colonial Blue; 151 Charcoal Grey; #105 Silver Blue; #108 Dusty Blue; #107 Sapphire;#149 Silver Grey’;# 405 Silver Heather:#145 Eggplant;  #158  Mustard; [#139 Rose Shocking ; #172 Kelly Green;#113 Scarlet]

·         * Lion Brand Vanna’s Complement, article #866 (3 oz/85g; 185 yd/170m skein): 1 skein # 109 Colonial Blue
* I'm using a size 9/I hook

Ditto about the colors on this one.The bracketed colors are being used on a very different beach houses on the edge of the beach edging on what will be a more rocky coast/somber foggy day at the beach sensibility than the Homespun version.So, if you don't want that jolt of color, just don't get those. Of course, there will be another choice of edging!

What techniques will we use? Granny squares, both solid and multicolored; motifs with color changes on the rnds and motifs with color changes within the rnds; squares with simple color work (letting you ponder words vs chart instruction); intarsia, surface embroidery; applique;squares with patterns that change color. It should be an interesting mix for you all!

No reveal on what it looks like yet- you will have to trust my design skills, as I'm still working on it. I'll be off the grid doing photography for about two weeks, and then we'll get busy with it. I'll be doing helps again, so even if you're a beginner, the throw(s) will be achievable by you.

TOMORROW: I will talk about Homespun!


                                           unblocked snapshot square

4 comments:

  1. I have two huge bins of Homespun....don't know about the colors but I think I can make do with what's here. Looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always add if you need to. In my mind, the point of it all is to learn some new stuff. Once you start playing with the squares, you'll know what to do!

      Delete
  2. It looks amazing already. I can't wait to start. I'm doing both versions, I cant resist your designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I didn't need to sleep! I'm loving the colors as I'm working it, and enjoying the different techniques- I don't think anyone will be bored with this one!

      Delete