Friday, April 29, 2016

Granny, oh Granny!



I must confess, I had knit several pairs of socks and mittens and crocheted a baby layette before I ever attempted a granny square. Granny squares always seemed to me like magical crochet things. Which they are! What else can you make in the round and end up with a square?

The first granny square project I ever made was a pink and white and green and yellow poncho for my baby girl- the one who is going to be 44 in a couple of weeks! My then mother-in-law knew how to craft everything, and we went to town with my new colors and her stash yarns and had a grand old time!

Making these isn't brain surgery, but it is totally addictive. For those of you who've never made one before, the link has a granny HELP with it. While I do specify the colors I've used for this project(in both the Homespun and the Vanna's Choice colors) you should most definitely play with the technique and whatever colors float your boat- how's that for a By The Sea metaphor- beyond this particular project. Note that in the Homespun squares above, while using the same skein of colors for each square, the look is slightly different due to the color changes within the same skein of Homespun (part of why I love this yarn so much!)
The Vanna's Choice version has stronger colors......

and because, you know there'll be-EEEEK!-loose ends,
the downloads include a LOOSE ENDS HELP
and.....drumroll, please!
a way to use them. If you are stitching this for a gift, this ornament is an easy addition to the package .
Or, to commemorate each project you do, simply collect the loose ends and hang the unique reminders of your stitching skill on your own tree!
The pattern link is here:

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment